The 11th installment of our annual off-season event, Brunswick Eruption, was held on Saturday, November 17, 2012.
Originally scheduled for two weekends prior on November 3rd, the event had to be postponed due to the after effects of Hurricane Sandy. Unfortunately, this change in schedule meant that only 29 teams of the original roster of 42 could attend. Nevertheless, the event was still a success:
- Our food drive collected over 300 cans of food to benefit the North Brunswick Food Pantry.
- Our shoe drive collected over 200 pounds of shoes to be recycled worldwide via ShoeBox Recycling.
- Two pre-rookie teams were able to participate in their first FIRST competition!
- Hundreds of students were able to talk to representatives from Penn State University and Rowan University in our miniature college fair.
- Many local FTC and VEX teams were able to spend the day learning from each other and scrimmaging on official practice fields.
Congratulations to the following teams for taking home coveted Brunswick Eruption Tiki Trophies at this year’s event:
Winners: 341, 25, 3637
Finalists: 103, 2590, 2606
Hoku Award Winner: 613
Aloha Award Winner: 1626
Mahalo Award Winner: 2607
Food Drive Champion: 806
Shoe Drive Champion: 806
Evil Sundae Survivor: 806
Best Autonomous Mode: 341
Best Balancer Award: 4067
Smart Play Award: 103
Mike Wade Memorial Award: Mr. Jerry Ely from 1089
Future Glory Award: 2606 (Pre-rookie from St. Hubert High School)
Additionally, congratulations to team coach Roger Weiss and team parents Jennifer Hammill and Anthony Schamper for being the recipients of this year’s Big Kahuna awards!
Finally, we would like to thank Mid-Atlantic Robotics (MAR), the North Brunswick Board of Education, Raider Robotix Parent & Mentor Association, Inc. (RRPMA) and the following key volunteers for helping make this event possible!
Master of Ceremonies: Katie Stevens
Co-MC: Craig Howard
Announcers: Chris Gregory and Jeff Bunca
FTA: Bharat Nain
FTAAs: Joshua Morris and Corey Kirschner
Referees: Kristian Calhoun, Howard Cohen, Karin Kloberg, Siri Maley, Mohanish Shinde, and Phil Szymanowski
Queuers: Sara Reffler and Amanda Fowler
Judges: Ruth Kamen, Michael Stevens, Alexa Stott, Nisha and Neil Parikh
Hoku Award Sponsor and Evil Sundae Creator: Chef Timothy McGuire
Webcaster: Brian Mollica
Photographer: Brandan Calhoun
Pictures from the event can be found here.
We look forward to seeing everyone back at next year’s Brunswick Eruption!